Yoga for PCOS
Let us face the fact!! One woman in every five suffers from PCOS in India. As per the National Health Portal (NHP) of India, the prevalence of PCOS ranges from 9.13% to 22.5%.Know About PCOS
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is usually seen in women of age range 15 – 45 in their reproductive age is a hormonal disorder. Women suffering from PCOS find it difficult to conceive babies and are at a high risk of miscarriages leading to infertility.
PCOS hormonal disorder causes enlargement of ovaries with many small cysts (collection of fluids) and fails to release eggs periodically. PCOS is a syndrome but not a disease. It may become a lifelong condition if not treated properly.
Symptoms and Causes of PCOS
- Irregular Periods – Heavy irregular long painful periods or no menstruation at all. Menstruation in women is connected with the secretion of the female hormone, Estrogen. If male hormone, Androgen secretion increases in women, causes irregular periods. Even worse, some women may face very low menstruation.
- Some of the main symptoms are excessive facial hair (hirsutism), acne, thinning scalp hair because of an increased level of male hormones.
- On performing ultrasound, multiple cysts are seen.
- Increased body weight/obesity.
- Women undergo unusual mood swings.
Complication of PCOS
PCOS untreated may lead to:
- major metabolic health issues like insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) and gestational diabetes (during pregnancy)
- high blood pressure, and increased cholesterol.
- Endometrial/uterus cancer in some women in the future.
- depression, stress, anxiety, and strain in women.
- Male pattern baldness
- Sleep apnea
- Dark spots of skin on body parts
- difficulty in conceiving and risk of miscarriages
It is also considered there is a 40% chance that a female child may develop PCOS if the mother has it.
So, what causes PCOS in women? Though the exact reasons are not known, expert medical practitioners say that poor lifestyle (unhealthy diet and lack of physical exercise), high level of male hormones in women, and high level of insulin in the body are the main reasons to develop PCOS.
The changing lifestyle, food habits, and stress in today’s modern life have led to polycystic ovarian disease or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
Consuming excess carbohydrates and sugar, without physical exercise affects the hormonal system of the body and in turn causing the imbalance of female hormone secretion.
Doctors usually diagnose PCOS based on
- abdominal ultrasound for ovaries and uterus
- blood tests to check hormonal imbalance, excessive sugar levels
- physical examination to check male pattern hair growth on the body.
Treatments for PCOS
The good news is that PCOS has a set of treatments. At Naitri, we have professional BAMS doctors, yoga trainers, and nutritionists. They diagnose and suggest a complete package of treatment including medications, diet charts, and yoga training. Doctors prescribe medication to help ovulation, reduce acne, hair growth, and other symptoms based on the severity of underlying PCOS conditions.
Doctors at Naitri have achieved a high success rate in treating many women with PCOS complaints.
Yoga for PCOS – to improve, maintain, and balance
At Naitri, along with naturopathic medicines, yoga therapy is also given a lot of importance.
Yoga is a spiritual discipline based on the principle of achieving equilibrium and harmony between mind, body, and soul. It helps manage stress and anxiety level. Yoga therapy or training brings mental peace and maintaining good physical health.
Yoga is an ancient science practiced widely. Yoga therapy has earned worldwide recognition as an alternative medicine with no side effects.
Yoga therapy helps in the prevention and management of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Yoga is a stress-busting and rejuvenating modality that reduces anxiety levels almost to zero. Since stress is the main factor in aggravating PCOS/PCOD, yoga therapy for PCOS is very effective.
Our Yoga trainers recommend yoga for PCOS as they say
“Yoga asanas have to be practiced daily. It helps in reducing the androgen/testosterone levels up to 30%. It also helps in decreasing depression and anxiety associated with PCOS”.
Benefits of Yoga for PCOS:
- Improves blood circulation – Specific postures suggested by yoga therapists will increase blood flow in the pelvic area and regulates menstrual cycles periodically
- Boosts mental well-being – Yoga for PCOS, along with meditation practiced under the yoga trainer will improve mind-body balance. Yogasanas produce happy hormones in the body that brings down levels of stress and anxiety related to PCOS.
- Lowers Androgen Levels – Yoga postures for PCOS performed for the pelvic area reduce male hormones and balancing the hormones in the body.
- Improves hormonal balance – Yoga for PCOS restores the hormonal balance in the body which automatically regulates the menstrual flow and correcting PCOS.
Some of the yoga asanas that help combat PCOS are
- Surya Namaskar – This set of yoga postures helps in reducing blood sugar levels, increases flexibility to the pelvic region, and helps in weight loss.
- Bhujang Asana – Bhunjang asana improves the functionality of ovaries and reduces stress levels.
- Malasana – Strengthens pelvic and abdominal muscles by activating ovaries and uterus.
However, these yoga asanas give good results if performed under a yoga trainer. At Naitri, our doctors suggest customized yoga exercises based on the condition of each patient.
PCOS is a vicious circle. Because of PCOS, body weight increases. Hormones do not secret properly cause increased body weight. To break this circle, physical exercising and having a nutritious diet food is more important. Yogasanas break this circle by reducing stress, improving body flexibility, and balancing hormonal levels. Yoga for PCOS is a complete modality of treatment practiced regularly.
Yoga is an ancient practice that has changed in the modern world which brings both science and spirituality together. This is the exact recipe for treating PCOS.
We conduct online yoga training sessions to help all the patients who cannot physically attend their therapies in health centers. Online yoga training for PCOS can be taken online from your convenient place at a mutually convenient time.
Do not prolong in treating your PCOS. Contact us if you have any queries. We will get in touch with you.